23 May 2009

Shell Scholarship Phone Interview

This was the first time I had a scholarship interview over the phone. Plus, it was about 45 mins long. Just imagine how pain your ear could be!

Well, a lady officer called up at about 9.20am, 10mins earlier than the scheduled time. The first question she asked was "Is it ok if I call u now?"
And, I told her, "Sure, no problem. I have been preparing for the call since 15mins ago."

The interview conducted by Shell was pretty much structured to a fixed format. They started off with course preference, then proceeded with co-curricular achievement, continued by a '4 choose 1' business topic, then ended with a little Q & A session.

So, it kicked off by asking my course preference and offers from universities. And, I told her " I would like to pursue EEE in my undergraduate years. And for offers, I have some like from Edinburgh, ICL and ANU, so yea."

"So, now we are going to focus on extra-curricular activities. So, tell me, one of your activities which you are proud of."
"Erm, yea, so, the activity which I am proud of is the Malaysia Student Leaders Summit..bla bla"

"What lessons or challenges u faced when u took part?"
Hmm..we came from different environment. Well, and we are from different races, and the topic we were discussing was 'BM is a tool for national unity'. Some of my group members are studying in Australia, UK, US or local. While, an 18/19 yrs old youngsters like me, really get exposed to such an environment..bla bla..

What is the main objective or aim when u decide to take part?
Well, the main objective in my mind back then was practically to take part in a scholary discussion on socio-economical issues. And try to establish as many friendships or personal relationships as possible as they are useful for me to get connected with those malaysian students who are studying abroad..bla

Any obstacles u faced while dealing with people from different age groups? Give us an example.
Well, in responding to that question, i would like to talk about my experiences in participating Global Peace Festival. I was called up to be group leader...bla

Besides the language barrier problem u faced, what other challenges that u had to take up?
Erm, yea, I had to deal with RELA troops who are much more older than me. I sought advices from my seniors. And bla....

Ok, anymore activities which u would like to tell us?
Yes. I had taken part in a charity drive, and volunteered myself to be a fundraiser..bla
How do u conduct? What are the challenges?
As above..bla...

Ok, right now, We will move on to the next session. I will give u 4 business topics to be chosen. Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR), High quality graduates in today's employment market, meeting growing energy need without consuming.., use of internet in business...
Ok, erm, can u please give me a second to choose?
I think I will go for high quality graduates...bla..

So, tell me your definition on high quality graduates.
Yea. A high quality graduate, has to be be honest, responsible, bla...
So, what is the importance of having them for multinational companies?
Yea, indeed it's important. Like Shell for instance, when they invest in countries like UK, Netherlands, Malaysia or in China, high quality graduates are able to adapt the surroundings, and understand the cultures. like in Msia, we have to understand the three main races, and the minorities like Iban and Bidayuh..or in China, we need to understand about the cultures of 50 races. It can help Shell to recruit locals...bla..
And, if u are in the position to produce, what are ur strategies?
I will start from education. Education is important. Besides the normal hard skills, we shud as well as emphasize the importance of soft skills, by training them to be more versatile, flexible, bla..
Anymore other strategies?
Yes, the social part. the society should play their roles. Like cyber cafe (i mentioned computer shop or cyber shop i forgot..haha..) and shopping complexes, the universities students love to hang out and waste alot of times, rather than to train up themselves on leadership qualities and boost thier CV, bla...
So does that mean by reducing the licenses, we could produce more high quality graduates?
Erm, maybe not, but i believe it will certainly enhance the probability of producing highly talented graduates..
Any more to add in?
Yea, maybe we can start off from parents. Parents are the closest people since we are born. so, the parents may teach us or guide us to be more successul by instilling..bla...

Ok, Mr. Phang, today our session ends here. Thanks for your time.
Oh yea. May I ask something about Gourami Business Challenge which I read on Shell webpage.
What's that? What makes u so curious?
Erm, i read it something like erm, evaluate the performance of graduates or bla...
Is it something under Shell Recruitment Day?
Yea.
Ok, basically is a day where we give case studies and evaluate the graduate performance..
Oic. Thanks alot.
Yea, so we will inform you in 10 working days. Bye.
Bye and thanks again, Ms.

There goes the precious 45mins. Done badly? Done ok? or Done beyond expectation? I duno. Only the person who interviewed me knows it.
Hope I can hear some good news later.~~




1 comment:

Desiree said...

geng arh u... can remember what they ask