12 May 2009

ASEAN/Nanyang Undergraduate Scholarship

Basically, it's just nothing more than an interview, by saying this, I mean they try to know u better, at the same time, u try to sell yourself more.

So, the evaluating team consists of 5 people. One Indian guy will be the Dean of Admission. The other 4 people will be the deans of the faculty which you are going to enroll, so i guess the 4 of them are different for each candidate.

Well, I will briefly tell what happened. haha. At about 1130hours, I was called in by a polite, young and vibrant lady from the Scholarship Department.I was the last candidate for the morning session. Then, after knocking the door, what appeared in front of my eyes were the five interviewers. 4 Chinese, 1 Indian. 4 bespectacled, 1 with normal eye-sight.

So, the interview kicked off. I was asked some very unexpected questions. "Why didnt u click the link in the website to accept our offer? Are you aware of other loans offered by NTU, besides the scholarships and tuiton grant? If not, u might leave right now.

So, I straight away answered that I was not aware of those loans. And, I did say, "it's still a loan, not a scholarship". Then, the Dean of Admission told me about the conditions of the loans(eg: 20yrs repayment period, 0% interest...). And, to ensure the awkwardness and bad impression did not ensue, I showed great enthusiasm and interest on the loan schemes, and told them that finance is my main concern. And soon after, they proceeded with next questions.

Other Qs include:
1. Did u apply to NUS? And Why do u prefer NTU?
Ans: Well, I didnt apply to NUS. It's because I found out that NTU is a better place for engineering. NTU provides more hands-on practical lessons, and I believe that it's more useful for engineering students.

2. Explain briefly about your extra-curricular activities. (Show something special, people! Because based on what u speak, it will lead on to the next question and so on)
Ans:I will elaborate on two co-curricular activities which have taught me some lessons of life. First of all, I would like to talk about leaderships. I took part in the Malaysian Student Leaders Summit in 2008. A great platform indeed. We shared infos as well as brainstormed on the ideas in attending socio-economical issues happening in our countries. Secondly, I did freelancing with Sinchew Daily for about two years back. I wrote about educational, youth and some political issues.

(Then, luckily I did bring my articles folder to the interview. They did ask for some evidences and asked me some random questions about my articles. eg: how long do u need to write. are u writing out of fun and interest. how much do u get paid per piece...and they nodded with each other while reading those articles.) ^^

3. One or two technical Questions about your course.
(Eg: My course is EEE. So, they asked how interested are you in Science and Math? I said,
'I am not interested in Pure Science and Math, as I am more inclined towards the commercial and entrepreneurship sectors to benefit the people'.
Before I continued, one of the deans slightly raised up his voice,
'Do u think that pure science and math cant help to benefit the world?' So, I twisted.
'Well, in my opinion, if I were to study pure science and math, it will lead me to become an academician, while I myself is more towards to put things into practical, rather than study the theory.'
'I agree with what you have just said.' ended the dean. Is it a good sign or a bad one? I am not sure. I just know that, twist as much as u can, when the questions sound intimidating.)

4. Anymore question, Mr.Phang?
Ans: Well, I wonder what kind of life the students in NTU are having? I did browse through the website, but I would like to hear a more personal view from you.
Dean of Admission: We have lots of clubs...sports, speaking, debating, bla...
Ans: That would be very interesting and enriching...
Dean of Admission: Indeed, so it's just how u balance your life and study.
Ans: Yea, sure. And what if I would like to continue my Master in US like MIT, Georgia Tech?
Dean 2: Yea, of course u can. You are kept open once you have completed the stipulated bond for the MoE tuition grant. But, keep in mind that we dont have any "magic link".
Ans: Oh I see, yea, by saying that I doesnt mean "going through the back door" and....
Dean of Admission: Oh..no, we didnt mean that too...And I was quite curious how come you didnt apply for the NTU-Georgia Tech EEE+Computer Eng?
Ans: Erm, I was not confident back then. So I applied for EEE in NTU and would like to try to achieve a good results, so that later I might be able to seek for a postgrads in US school.
Dean 3: Yea, but not with a 3rd Class honours. At least you must hold a Second-Upper or First Class to be admitted into one of those schools.
Ans: Yea..I understand and I will work hard for that.

When the interview was about to end, One Chinese dean suddenly blurted, "Hmm, one last more question, u said u play badminton. I wonder which level are you playing at?"
Ans: Well, I am pretty much an amateur player, maybe a district player? haha. So, sir, does that mean you are interested in badminton too?

He laughed, "Oh no..I play others like cricket or tennis." Then, he chat with some other deans. "I believe I can still beat the young players." Soon, everyone in the room laughed. And, I was told that my session ended, and they thanked for my time and willingness to attend this interview.

So, pretty much an interesting interview. Or I would say the best interview experience I have ever had. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to be a rather short interview. That's all the questions they asked?