06 July 2011

Insights of an Intern

Flipping over the calendar, marking down the dates, and now I am on my 4th days of interning with Maxis.

The same routine goes round the days: sleep at 2am, wake up at 630am. Take a bus at 730am, and arrive at the office around 830am.

But, a glass of teh-tarik or kopi panas will clear up my dizzy mind and starts the day with 90% of the spirits and a tinge of drowsiness.

(Thanks to Imperial for the harsh training.)

These 4 days have given me some real insights about the working life in Kuala Lumpur. As I work alongside with my supervisor, I can see that employees in the technical field are generally undervalued.

The salary is low, but the food price, transportation cost are high. The money you get evaporates in no time and you question yourself: is it really worth to work in a technical field in KL?

Right now, before even starting any projects, I have to dive into reading the basics of internetworking- the knowledge of connecting internet and mobile networks. The stuff is extremely challenging and technical (the main Maxis network system in the Klang Valley). I literally never learn before all these.

But i get more and more comfortable as I spend more time in it. Again, this, I have to thank Imperial for the harsh training.

I pay 21k pounds to study 80% of the modules myself in the university, and now Maxis is paying me 1k to study real-life stuff myself. How ironic is that!

You rush to work and get back to your house at about 9pm. Talking about reading more books or living your life are plain imaginary ideas once you start working.

Besides, last weekend was the first weekend which Otak-otak starts its programmes. First time got in touch with the intensive case study workshop and it gave me some new and fresh experience, to think about my career path in the next future.

Plus, as a student in UK, meeting up with the students from the Ivies,reputable unis, Liberal Arts Colleges in the States definitely give me a very exciting interactions. The world will be so dull if everyone is just the same, right?

It's time to re-evaluate the goals in life and the direction for my next 2 years in the university.

1 comment:

Edward 刘怀友营养师 said...

在KL实习都不来找我下。XD祝福你。我们也是一样的情况。薪水永远都赶不上通货膨胀。