24 April 2011

Re-define breathtaking

This time, it all started with a bus journey.

The 8-hour bus trip was very bored and tiring, and i took back my words when I witnessed the beauty of the fjords, the valleys and the rapids. I passed by two fjords, on the way to the youth hostel, which is located at the world most beautiful fjord, (at least recognized by the UNESCO World Heritage Site la).

The Geiranger Fjord.

Sognefjord, the longest and deepest in Norway, is such an amazing gift crafted by the Almighty. I have to take a 20minutes ferry, passing by some of the small villages around. Plus as I moved up north, I arrived at the Nordfjord as well. Nord-it means North in Norwegian language. Stunningly beautiful!

Photographed @Nordfjord, Norway.

As I was getting closer to the Geiranger Fjord, it seemed like I was entering the world of Narnia. The quiet town, with only at most 5 cottages around; the pine trees and of course the gigantic mountain ranges.

At last, I arrived at Hellesylt, the small town with no more than 620 people, surrounded by icy and snowy mountains, as well as the scary waterfalls. I was rather disappointed as I got to know that the ferry service to the heart of the Geiranger fjord will only be starting on the 1st of May.

However, unexpected things occurred. The hostel owner, who is a German, decided to bring me to a spot where I can see the Geiranger from afar. On the way, we shared our stories, like how I came over to London all the way from Malaysia, and he told me about him being a chef in Bangalore, India, as well as a data processing clerk in Germany.

Finally, we reached the nicest spot. And, I was like a 5-year-old kid, jumping and yipee-yeye-yipee-yipee-ye-ing around. I couldn't believe the great and magnificent view displayed in front of me. I was totally in awe of it.

I couldn't thank him enough for driving me towards that place. It wasn't his duty anyway. But, he just said one thing.

I was there once. I was young before.

He then closed his palms and wished me Namestei, a Nepalese greeting which means "I appreciate the God in you". A great Samaritan indeed.

Then the next morning, at the youth hostel, I met up with a pair of couples from Belgium. Both of them are avid photographers. They even use the camera from the 50s and 60s, which needs to use a black cloth to cover and wash the negatives in the dark room. The girl drove all the way up from Brussels, to Copenhagen and then to Stockholm. From there she took a ferry to Norway and drove all the way to Geiranger.

I was so impressed with the passions they have. But they said that,

One nice picture is the greatest reward for our trip.

Wise words indeed.

I also met up with a German girl with her family. She is under the Erasmus exchange programme, from a university in Germany to Norway. We also shared some of our stories as well. Not forgetting about the Dutch high school leaver, who knows 6 languages, on a backpacking trip to travel in Norway, because she is going to work in one of the hotels in Norway soon. She told me about the psychology disorder-Oedipus Complex.

================================================================

As the trip was coming to an end, I did some self-reflections. When we see people who actually take some timeouts in their life to pursue their passions, we get inspired. But why are we still doing the same mundane jobs and keep complaining, yet we don't dare to take a step out from the vicious cycle.

To live your life, is the easiest, yet the hardest thing to do at the same time.

When we are going for a better self, don't forget about the true self that resides in your soul and mind.

Photographed @Geiranger Fjord, Norway.

1 comment:

sinyin ^-^ said...

hi there, stumble upon yr blog thru yi ying's.
I like the way u write this post which i find quite inspiring and decide to leave a comment (hope u dun mind :P)
ppl u met during travel are always inspiring, talking to them are one of most enjoyable things to do :)
anyway, m jz another blog walker, hereby wishing u can perhaps one day step out of the viscous cycle which i found it's rather hard to do.
i miss nepalese namaste! a warm greeting u will get stepping into each shop in nepal :D
all da best and cheers