02 February 2009

2009- A new year for a piece of old memory

Well, 2009 has stepped in and 2008 waved a warm good-bye. (I know it's pretty late for writing a new year post. XD)
New year opened her veil, bringing in new hopes and dreams, at the same time, marking the end of my 18-months life in UCSI. It has been a tough and uncertain decision when I first went into UCSI, but now it's no more than a unique experience which would certainly be one of the most memorable milestones in my life.
The new acquaintances, the new activities, and the new hopes which weaved the lovely memories, had given me a golden opportunity to expose myself to something I have never met before and to grow individually.
The hope to further my studies abroad has once shattered into pieces. But, after 1.5 years, finally, time healed the wounds. I gathered the sadness and disappoinment, wiped off the tears-stained face, and rose up to look everything in life from a positive perspective.
I would like to share the personal encounters which had touched my souls and minds during these 18 months.

1. MSLS(Malaysian Student Leaders Summit) 2008. A spectacular event which totally opened my eyes and gave me an initial shock. This is a platform for all overseas and local Malaysian students to gather and discuss the most crucial and critical topics, like 'glass-wall apartheid', Corruption, Education and Judiciary Crisis and etc. This platform actually attracted graduates from top-notch universities like those which are well-known across the globe, Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge, Imperial and the list goes on.
Moral of the story: "The altitude in life is not just as high as the sky in Malaysia."

2. Global Peace Festival 2008. A 3-days event which comprised the assembly of international students, voluntary service and concert performance. This is the first time I have seen a man who not only embraces his life with great ambitions, but as well put it into action. Dr Hyun, a Korean guy who wants to build a dream based upon the slogan, "One family under God".
Moral of the story: "Life is not just about results. But is achieving and contributing back to the socitey."

3. Red-tape on management of a single issue across departments. This is one personal experience which I black-listed UCSI as "a university par Malaysian government". I registered late for my A-levels July intake due to some reasons. So, the person in charge told me to appeal for the scholarships which was given out based on my SPM results. I followed the procedure. No news since then. I was quite frustrated and kept on following up the results of my appeal through the finance department for about 6 months. (Do they really have so much appeal cases to be handled?) And, so I got the same answer everytime I went there. "The board has to discuss your case. You will hear from us again." When it was about February 08, my father suggested me to write one short notice that said "if no news heard within a week or two, I would like to meet up with your finance director to know what's the reason which take the board to discuss for such a long period of time". And, guess what, I heard from them the NEXT DAY. "Congratulations Mr. Phang. Your appeal for the UCSI scholarships is successful."
Moral of the story: You got to heat their butts up to get them done with their jobs.

Stay tuned for more great stories to be shared...=)

1 comment:

Desiree said...

the 3rd story is funny ...haha