16 June 2013

Of dreams and reality

As usual, I did my random read on my Facebook news feeds today. And I stumbled upon this line in a piece of article.

"You need to let your dreams change your reality; don’t let your reality changes your dreams. " 

As I am reading this line, many things seem to be running through my mind. It's nothing special, let alone being profound. Nevertheless, it's such a simple fact that we usually overlook or that we conveniently choose to use the latter as an excuse for the former. 

It has been a good 4 years since the day I hopped onto a plane to fly from KLIA to Heathrow. So many things have changed since the day I dreamed of coming to the UK, till the moment I feel heavy-hearted to leave this country. 

This line resonates very much with me because the exposure, the experience and the perspective that I am having right now, are pretty much a manifestation of many small, little dreams. Those small dreams are like the 400+ tiny bridges in Venice, which connect me from one place to another. 

And, many of those journeys and detours that I have made, are not plans that I have outlined before I came here. All of them happened in a pretty random manner, looking back in hindsight. 



Back in 2010, I didn't even know whether I would survive my time here in Imperial, and now I am few weeks away from leaving this institution. 

The people and the incidents that occurred to me are like stamps given by the border officers on your passport when you are travelling across the countries. 

An indelible mark of rewards for the decisions that I took, that was once backed by so much fears and one "you only live once" thought. 

You have to move across the boundaries, to get to another places.There's no way you can change your reality by talking about dreams. You can only change it by dreaming of changing it.  

Before I came here, the reality that I once had, is so real that you hardly even believe that you are able to do what you have been dreaming all day long. 

Thinking of going back to the reality I once had is not terrifying, but it feels strange whenever I start to think about it. It's like going back to home, but it has a tinge of distant feeling towards my own home. 

Maybe, reality and dream, after all, are at different sides of the same coin, that you need to turn over once in a while to not let your dream slip away, thinking that the coin has only one side that is valuable to your life. 









2 comments:

The Moderation-ist said...

those experiences are great. they shape you into who you are. i hope i do have the chance like you to have my dream fitted into the reality :) anyway i really admire your writing, the ample knowledge you have and the philosophical part of your blog. keep writing! i've decided to be a loyal reader of yours!

Luminodreamer said...

Hey thanks for your comments! i just take one step and a time, and try my best to do what i want. i am sure you can do it too :0

good luck!